Join Us / Donate
We welcome applications on an ongoing basis!
The Action Alliance is always seeking volunteers to answer our 24-hour hotline, represent us at community outreach events, and more.
Bilingual (Spanish/English) Hotline Crisis Services Spec. and Hotline Crisis Services Spec.
Application deadline: open
The Hotline Team is always accepting applications and a job posting can be found below. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis as positions become available. Should materials match an opening hotline leadership will directly reach out to candidates.
(Bilingual) Hotline Crisis Services Specialist
The Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance, Virginia’s statewide coalition addressing sexual and domestic violence, is hiring part-time (bilingual/bicultural, Spanish & English) Hotline Crisis Services Specialists to provide culturally competent crisis intervention services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Hotline Crisis Services Specialists will:
• Respond to and document calls, chats, and texts in English (and Spanish) from survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence; their family members and friends; allied professionals; and the general public.
• Ensure quality responses to each of the Hotlines answered by the Action Alliance, including the Virginia Statewide Hotline, the PREA Hotline, the LGTBQ+ Helpline, and the hotlines of local sexual and domestic violence agencies.
• Ensure the delivery of effective and timely services to agencies that work with the statewide hotline.
• Follow up with callers who identify intimate partner violence and/or sexual violence as primary issues.
• Attend and participate in internal, state, and national training activities concerning the dynamics of domestic and sexual violence, crisis intervention, active listening, supportive counseling, risk assessment, safety planning, intersections of oppression and violence, legal advocacy, and resource identification/development.
This position requires work, volunteer, or internship experience delivering services in English (and Spanish); a basic knowledge of intimate partner violence, sexual violence, and our work at the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance; and strong organizational skills. All Action Alliance staff must be committed to the agency’s mission and guiding principles. Working with the Action Alliance requires dedication to cooperating with peers, participating in group processes, utilizing healthy conflict resolution skills, and modeling respectful relationships.
Successful candidates will be proficient in Office 365 and have experience with online documentation and databases.
This is an hourly non-exempt position that will be scheduled to work 10 to 30 hours from Sunday to Saturday, including holidays. Since we operate the Hotline 24/7, many shifts are outside traditional business hours. The hourly rate of pay starts at $15. Limited statewide travel is required for training; national opportunities may also be provided.
The Action Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to hiring and supporting a diverse staff. We strongly encourage people of diverse racial, gender, and ethnic identities and abilities to apply.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Reed Bohn by email at email@example.com, or mail your application materials to:
c/o Action Alliance
1118 W. Main St.
Richmond, VA 23220
This position will re-open in January 2018
This is a full-time position with the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance (Action Alliance). This leadership position will work closely with a team co-director to provide strategic direction to the Action Alliance’s Social Change Team. The Prevention Director will coordinate with state and national partners in the field to lead coalition efforts associated with the prevention of sexual and intimate partner violence. This position co-manages and supports team-members dedicated to social change, including specific grants and projects focused on systems advocacy, prevention, communications, and movement strategy. This position also provides guidance and leadership to member programs on prevention programming, capacity building, and resource and campaign development in alignment with statewide visions, values, and goals for the field of primary prevention.
We're looking for:
We’re looking for: An experienced preventionist, out-of-the-box thinker, program developer, social-change maker, trainer, and strong relationship-builder. As a Leadership Team member, we’re looking for someone who thinks strategically, inspires action, cultivates resources, and supports people to move us forward. The ideal candidate will be excited about the potential to create dynamic, racial and gender justice focused programming, campaigns, and strategies to advance a statewide agenda for preventing sexual and intimate partner violence. The position requires ve years of prevention and community wellness experience, preferably within a Virginia sexual and domestic violence agency or at another state coalition. At least two years of supervision experience is preferred; both project management and agency grants administration or operations experience are highly advantageous. The starting salary range for this position is $54-$58,000/year. The Action Alliance offers a generous benefits package and an outstanding and flexible work environment.
This job entails visioning Action Alliance prevention and social change work, guiding coalition prevention projects, building strong relationships with prevention partners, managing current grants and obtaining new funding, providing support and leadership to a team of staff and interns, and working with the full Leadership Team to ensure effective agency operations as well as progress toward our strategic goals. We are looking for significant prevention, project and grants management, and social change activism experience.
Position specific duties include, and are not limited to:
• Staff, Team, and Project Supervision: Provide guidance and oversight to violence prevention, communications, resource development, and project evaluation activities at the agency. Including developing and implementing strategies to meet agency goals and objectives; create work plans and timelines for staff and teams, conduct analysis of outcomes and recommend future agency directions and objectives in program areas related to prevention, communications, and movement strategy. Manage full time staff members on the Social Change Team, including engaging in peer supervision, promoting staff development, providing staff coaching, leading recruitment and selection of new staff, and conducting regular performance reviews.
• Grant Writing and Grants Management: Provide leadership and oversight to agency grants management and operations; including grant coordination, reporting, data collection, program evaluation, funding negotiations, and compliance with agency and funder financial policies.
• Statewide Prevention Leadership: Work with state and national partners to set and achieve prevention related outcomes and to advance a statewide prevention agenda in service of member programs and their communities.
General duties include, and are not limited to:
• Develop relationships and provide ongoing support to member sexual and domestic violence advocacy agencies across Virginia; including building and sustaining strategic partnerships with state and national partners in the field;
•Engage in staff-led anti-racism and anti-oppression work;
•Pursue professional development opportunities to grow individual skillsets;
•Participate actively as a member of the Social Change Team and Leadership Team and as an Action Alliance staff by supporting overall coalition development, the organizations guiding principles, mission, and values;
•Regular statewide and some national travel.
About the Action Alliance:
The Action Alliance has been Virginia’s leading voice on sexual and domestic violence for more than 30 years and enhances response and prevention efforts through training, public policy advocacy, public awareness programs, and technical assistance to professionals. We recognize that sexual and domestic violence are linked to other forms of oppression, which disproportionately affect women, children, and marginalized people. Understanding the great harm racism has created for individuals, families and our communities in Virginia, we are committed to building within the coalition an anti-racist framework from which to address sexual and domestic violence.
The Action Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People of color, women, LGBTQ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Please submit cover letter and resume or CV to: Linda Winston at firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-time Temporary Finance and Resource Assistant
Application deadline: open until filled
The Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance (Action Alliance), a diverse group of individuals and organizations, believes that ALL people have the right to a life free of sexual and domestic violence. We will use our diverse and collective voice to create a Virginia free from sexual and domestic violence—inspiring others
to join and support values of equality, respect and shared power.
We recognize that sexual and domestic violence are linked to other forms of oppression, which disproportionately affect women, children, and marginalized people. Understanding the great harm racism has created for individuals, families and our communities in Virginia, we commit to building within the coalition an anti-racist framework from which to address sexual and domestic violence.
This is a 15-20 hour per week part-time, temporary position with the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance (Action Alliance). This position coordinates bookkeeping, financial records and reporting, invoices, and vendor correspondence. The ideal candidate for this position is accurate and has a keen eye for details and is committed to non-violence and anti-racism.
•Keep accurate records of all revenues and all expenses incurred by the agency utilizing Quickbooks and by working closely with supervisors, agency accountant, and finance team.
•Prepare financial reports including cash flow statements, income and expense statements, and reports related to benefits administration.
•Produce quarterly finance reports for the Executive Director and agency Governing Body.
•Manage vendor and contractor relationships and paperwork; ensuring proper record keeping, invoice and payment management, and consistency with agency finance manual and internal protocol.
•Participate in team meetings and assist with other team duties as assigned.
•A minimum of three years of experience bookkeeping using Quickbooks in a grant-funded, non-profit environment.
•Strong attention to detail and commitment to consistent processes.
•Ability to work in fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
The starting rate of pay for this position is $18-$20 per hour.
The Action Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. Deadline to apply is August 18, 2017.