Public Policy & Media
Our public policy work
For more than 30 years, we have worked to enhance Virginia’s response to and prevention of sexual and domestic violence through advocacy, policy leadership, training, and technical assistance.
We are committed to ensuring that our policy work addresses the urgent needs of victims and promotes a comprehensive approach to responding to and preventing sexual and intimate partner violence.
Our policy work is guided by these core principles:
We will balance promotion of sexual and intimate partner violence prevention and intervention strategies, rely heavily on a practice of innovation, and frame our efforts in the belief that a world without violence is attainable.
We will engage our members as partners and leaders in our efforts, encourage community work that successfully engages broad collaboration, build bridges across disciplines, and build alliances with organizations seeking common outcomes.
We will address the root causes of sexual and intimate partner violence and promote social change in two vital ways:
Action Alliance Public Policy Strategic Priorities
1. The Action Alliance will prioritize policy efforts that promote an understanding that sexual and intimate partner violence are preventable.
2. The Action Alliance will increase engagement among Action Alliance members and general public in policy activities and advance the purposeful inclusion of diverse experiences and voices in policy efforts.
3. The Action Alliance will prioritize policy efforts that strive to promote conditions that ensure every child has opportunity to reach their full potential and dignity to the last child
4. The Action Alliance will continue to expand evidence-informed approaches to sexual and intimate partner violence victim services and offender accountability, including alternatives to the traditional criminal justice response.
5. The Action Alliance will prioritize policy initiatives that sustain and build member competence to effectively respond to and prevent sexual and intimate partner violence.
The strategic priorities listed above are guided by our Public Policy Strategic Planning document.