Civil Rights, Social Justice and Legal Help
Clicking on the links below will take you to that Association's website.
- American Bar Association Commission on Violence www.abanet.org/domviol/home.html
The Mission of the American Bar Association is to be the national representative of the legal profession, serving the public and the profession by promoting justice, professional excellence and respect for the law.
- American Civil Liberties Union www.aclu.org
The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of the following protections and guarantees:
- Your First Amendment rights-freedom of speech, association and assembly. Freedom of the press, and freedom of religion supported by the strict separation of church and state.
- Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.
- Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.
- Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.
- Ayuda (immigration issues) www.ayudainc.org
Ayuda exists to advocate for and defend the legal and human rights of low-income Latino and other immigrant communities in the Washington, D.C. area. A Latino community-based organization incorporated in 1973, Ayuda promotes social justice and client empowerment through high-quality program activities related to immigration and domestic violence.
Equality Virginia is a statewide, non-partisan lobbying, education and support network for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and straight allied (GLBT) communities in Virginia. Equality Virginia seeks equality for all Virginians by: (1) lobbying the General Assembly; (2) organizing communities; and (3) educating the public.
- Justice Matters Institute www.justicematters.org
A socially just society is one in which every group has a voice, every culture is respected, and every individual has equal access to resources and means of communication. Working for social justice entails working to overcome current injustices while building solutions that make a better world.
- Lambda GLBT Community Services www.lambda.org
Lambda is a non-profit gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender agency dedicated to reducing homophobia, inequality, hate crimes, and discrimination, by encouraging self-acceptance, cooperation, and non violence.
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- Legal Momentum www.legalmomentum.org/ (formerly, NOW Legal Defense Fund www.nowldef.org/ )
Legal Momentum, formerly NOW Legal Defense Fund, advances the rights of women and girls by using the power of the law and creating innovative public policy.
- Legal Resource Center www.lrcvaw.org
The mission of the Legal Resource Center on Violence Against Women (LRC) is to improve legal representation for domestic violence survivors. Specifically, the LRC works to obtain legal representation for domestic violence survivors in interstate custody cases and to provide technical assistance to domestic violence victim advocates and attorneys in such cases.
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges www.ncjfcj.org
The vision of the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges is that every child and young person be reared in a safe, permanent, and nurturing family, where love, self-control, concern for others, and responsibility for the consequences of one’s actions are experienced and taught as fundamental values for a successful life. The NCJFCJ seeks a society in which every child and every family in need of judicial oversight has access to fair, effective, and timely justice.
- National Network to End Violence Against Immigrant Women www.immigrantwomennetwork.org/
The Network works to improve the lives of immigrant women who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and trafficking in a variety of different ways, including: organizing national/regional conference, providing technical assistance, developing training materials, enhancing legal options, advocating with government officials, and developing multi-linqual resource materials for victims.
The Southwest Virginia Alliance http://swvalliance.org/default.aspx
Southwest Virginia Alliance acts as a safe and supportive community for persons of diverse gender and sexual identities as well as for their family members and friends. The SWVA Alliance also acts to make the communities of Southwest Virginia safer and more supportive.
- Women’s Law Initiative www.womenslaw.org/
Provides easy-to-understand legal information and resources to women living with or escaping domestic violence. By reaching out through the Internet, we empower women and girls to lead independent and productive lives, free from abuse.
- Virginia Organizing Project www.virginia-organizing.org
The Virginia Organizing Project (VOP) is a statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives. VOP especially encourages the participation of those who have traditionally had little or no voice in our society.