Note: Events that do not display details when you hover over the event title are intended for members-only and require a login to see details.
- This event has passed.
Legislative Advocacy Day 2023
February 2 @ 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
2023 Legislative Advocacy Day!
We’re excited to have sexual and domestic violence advocates from across Virginia join us in Richmond for our annual Legislative Advocacy Day on Thursday, February 2, 2023! And this year is a big one…..with the fall of Roe v. Wade and ongoing political attacks on LGBTQ youth, it’s important that we take a stand and defend the right of all Virginians to determine their reproductive futures and to be treated with dignity and respect.
Policy leaders want to hear from you about these hot topics that impact survivors, families, young people, and sexual and domestic violence advocates across the state:
- Fund the phones – help us sustain Virginia’s Statewide Hotline!
- Ensure the safe and lawful transfer of firearms for those subject to protective orders and those convicted of domestic violence!
- Close the dangerous loophole in Virginia’s strangulation statute!
- Repeal Virginia’s discriminatory Constitutional ban on LGBTQ marriage!
- Expand economic supports for women and families
- Prioritize victim/child safety over “shared parenting time”
- Defend Trans and LGBTQ youth in Virginia
- Protect Reproductive Freedom and abortion access for all survivors!
Check out our schedule for the day – if you are planning to join us for the breakfast reception, please note that in your registration choice:
- 8:00-9:00AM Breakfast reception and legislative briefing, held at Virginia Credit Union League, 108 N. Main Street, 23219. Light breakfast, coffee, and refreshments provided
- 9:30AM – 12:00PM Visits with legislators (Pocahontas Building 900 E. Main St, Richmond, VA 23219). Be sure to make appointments with your legislators in advance! You can find your legislator(s) here: http://ow.ly/tCG330mRiwW
- 9:30AM – 12:00PM space available at the Virginia Credit Union League to connect with Action Alliance staff, take breaks, debrief visits, and recharge
- 12:00PM Sexual & Domestic Violence Advocates gather in Capitol House Gallery to be recognized by the VA House of Representatives
- 1:00PM Join a Committee meeting (TBD). Support/watch the bill process, meet with Legislators, connect with advocates, and/or enjoy lunch nearby
If you can’t make it in-person for Legislative Advocacy Day, don’t worry, we’ll send you everything you need to participate in virtual legislative actions that are happening statewide! Just make sure you select “Virtual Legislative Advocacy ONLY” in your registration choice.
Please note that scheduling visits with your legislators is done on your own and in advance! You can begin reaching out to schedule visits now. The earlier the better. To find out who your state representatives are, or to find their contact information, please click here.
In addition, we will be holding a Legislative Advocacy Day Webinar on January 31 from 2:00 – 3:30 PM to help you understand our top priorities and answer all of your questions. Please make plans to attend that. https://bit.ly/VSDVALAD2023Webinar
Need help reaching out to your representatives? Looking for a script? Refer to our handy Legislative Advocacy Guide for answers to these questions and more!