The Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance is Virginia’s leading voice on sexual and intimate partner violence.
Who We Are
We are a non-profit network of survivors, Sexual and Domestic Violence Agencies, and allies working to strengthen how communities across Virginia respond to and prevent sexual and intimate partner violence.
What We Do
As an advocacy organization, we provide the expertise needed to ensure an effective response:
- We train professionals and ensure that Sexual & Domestic Violence Agencies across Virginia meet standards that affirm/safeguard quality responses to survivors.
- Our public policy work builds relationships with key decision makers to strengthen state laws that help make victims safer and hold offenders accountable.
- We share our fresh ideas and effective tools to address root causes of violence, recognizing that violence will always exist where oppression is present. Our prevention work promotes healthy communities and relationships so that violence doesn’t happen in the first place.
As a service provider, we offer people resources for making informed choices:
- We operate the statewide Virginia Statewide Hotline, LGBTQ Partner Abuse & Sexual Assault Helpline, and PREA Hotline (for incarcerated individuals who have experienced sexual violence) and develop resources for Virginia communities.
- Through our Project for Empowerment of Survivors (PES), we offer trauma-informed legal information, advice, and referrals to callers from Virginia who are experiencing sexual or intimate partner violence, dating violence, human trafficking and hate crimes.
As a membership organization, we build diverse alliances across the state.
We create an inclusive network of agencies, individuals, task forces and caucuses to speak in a unified and powerful voice.
What We Believe
We have a compelling vision for a world where all of us thrive.
Violence, harassment, and oppression are all around us, but it doesn’t have to be that way. A better world is within reach. The time has arrived to make this future happen. We choose all of us to flourish in this radiant new world.
Read more about our vision, values, and strategy. This document outlines where we are going and why and how we will center gender justice, racial justice, reproductive justice, and economic justice to get there.
Find out more about our mission and guiding principles.